Tuesday, May 21, 2013

3. Discover Smaller Cities


When putting together an itinerary, we usually gravitate towards seeing as many big cities in as many countries as possible. Big cities are wonderful for a reason, but I think smaller cities are sometimes are even better. When I originally was creating my itinerary I wanted to hit as many big European cities as possible. It wasn't until I started traveling that I realized that mixing in smaller cities makes your adventure worthwhile. 

Most of the best experiences I had did not occur in big cities. Places I would have never planned to go but ended up in by chance. Some places were Montpellier, France, Figueres, Spain, Fethiye, Turkey, and Busia. Kenya. Each city has a special story to it and an adventure I loved. In Figueres, we went for the Dali Museum but ended up having our first couchsurfing experience because we didn't want to pay for a hotel. In Fethiye, we spent the day by ourselves hiking along the Mediterranean coast. Small cities still have much to offer even if they are off the beaten path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment